A Conversation With Dr. Gross
6/2017- present Vice Chair and Director of Research, Department of Ophthalmology
8/2015- present Professor of Ophthalmology, E. Ronald Salvitti Chair in Ophthalmology Research, Director, Louis J. Fox Center for Vision Restoration, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
2015 – Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin.
2013 – 2015 Associate Director , Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin
2012 – 2015 Chair of Graduate Studies Committee , Cell and Molecular Biology Program
2011 – 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2005 – 2011 Assistant Professor, Section of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2002 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. John E. Dowling, Harvard University.
1996 – 2002 Doctoral Research, Laboratory of Dr. David R. McClay, Duke University
1993-1996 Undergraduate Research, Laboratory of Dr. Phyllis R. Robinson, University of Maryland – Baltimore County
Education & Training
- Duke University, Durham, NC, 1996 - 2002, Biology, Ph.D.
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 1992 - 1996, Biological Sciences, B.S. (cum laude with Honors)
- Leach LL, George S, Gabriel A and JM Gross “Innate immune system activity is a critical regulator of retinal pigment epithelium regeneration in zebrafish” – PNAS –118(21):e2017198118 (2021)
- George S, Lu F, Rao M, Leach LL and JM Gross “The Retinal Pigment Epithelium: Development, Injury Responses and Regenerative Potential in Mammalian and non-Mammalian Systems” – invited review for Progress in Retina and Eye Research – 100969. doi: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2021.100969 (2021)
- Raeisossadati R, Ferrari MFR, Kihara AH, Al Diri I and JM Gross “Epigenetic regulation of retinal development” Epigenetics and Chromatin – 14(1):11 (2021)
- Koenig K and JM Gross “Evolution and Development of Complex Eyes: A Celebration of Diversity” – Development – 147: dev182923 doi: 10.1242/dev.182923 (2020)
- Angileri K and JM Gross “dnmt1 function is required to maintain retinal stem cells within the ciliary marginal zone of the zebrafish eye” – Scientific Reports – 10(1):11293 (2020)
- Sinagoga K, Larimer-Picciani A, George S, Spencer SA, Lister JA and JM Gross “Mitf-family transcription factor function is required within cranial neural crest cells to promote choroid fissure closure” – Development – 147(21):dev187047 (2020)
- Hanovice N, Slater K, Romanovicz D, Shao E, Collery R, Burton EA, Lathrop K, Link BA and JM Gross “Regeneration of the zebrafish retinal pigment epithelium after widespread genetic ablation” – PLoS Genetics – 15(1):e1007939 (2019)
- Bernstein CS, Anderson MT, Gohel C, Slater K, Gross JM and S Agarwala “The Cellular bases of choroid fissure formation and closure” – Developmental Biology 440(2):137-151 (2018)
- Seritrakul P and JM Gross “Tet-mediated DNA hydroxymethylation regulates retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish” PLoS Genetics (2017) 13(9):e1006987.
National Institutes of Health (RO1-EY29031). “DNA Methylation and Hydroxymethylation During Retinal Development and Stem Cell Maintenance” Period 4/1/2018 – 3/30/2023. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (RO1-EY29410). “Elucidating the Molecular Underpinnings of Endogenous RPE Regeneration” Period 6/1/2019 – 5/30/2024. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (T32-EY17271): “Interdisciplinary Visual Sciences Training Program.” Period: 5/1/19 – 4/30/24. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (P30-EY08098): “Core Grant for Vision Research”. Period: 4/1/19 – 3/30/24. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (R21-EY28272). “Role of RNAi factor DUSP11 in ocular biology and disease” Period: 9/1/2017 – 8/31/20. PI – Sullivan (Gross – co-I).
UPMC Immune Therapy and Transplant Center Pilot Grant: “Identifying the Role of Immune Cell-Derived Factors in Retinal Pigment Epithelium Regeneration as a Possible Therapeutic Strategy for Age-related Macular Degeneration” Period: 3/1/19 – 2/28/21. PI - Gross
Bright Focus Foundation Glaucoma Research Program: " Identification of novel genes and pathways that protect RGCs from injury-induced death” Period: 9/1/20 - 8/31/22. PI - Gross