1973-1974 Medical Internship, Hennepin County General Hospital, Minneapolis, MN
1974-1977 Ophthalmology Residency: Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA
1978 Retina Fellowship: Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary and Harvard Medical School, Dept. of Ophthalmology
1979 Vitreous Fellowship: Duke Eye Center, Durham, NC
1979-1983 Director of Retina Service, Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Georgia, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Augusta, GA
1983-1985 Director of Retina Service, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Texas, Health Science Center - Dallas, Department of Ophthalmology, Dallas, TX
1985-1991 Director of Retina Service, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh, Eye and Ear Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
1985-present Staff appointments: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (formerly Eye and Ear Hospital of Pittsburgh), Veteran's Administration Medical Center
1992-1996 Acting Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
1992-present Director of Retina Service, Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Education & Training
- University of Minnesota Institute of Technology Minneapolis, MN 1968 Mechanical Engineering B.S.
- Stanford Grad. Sch. of Engineering, Stanford, CA 1969 Fluid mechanics, heat transfer and design M.S.
- University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN 1978 Medicine M.D.
Friberg TR, Braunstein RA, Bressler NM: "Sudden Visual Loss Associated with Sexual Activity." Current Awareness in Biomedicine. Sheffield, England. Human Sexuality, Vol. 3, No. 15, August 1995.
Friberg TR, Braunstein RA, Bressler NM: "Sudden Visual Loss Associated with Sexual Activity." Ophthalmology Times 1995.
"Bright future for ER: YAG Laser, Vitreoretinal Surgery, Breaking News." Ophthalmology Times, December 18, 1995, p.10.
Friberg TR: "Sudden Loss of Vision" in Diagnostic Challenges, The Courtlandt Forum, pp 160-165, June 25, 1996.
Emergency Medicine: "Sexual Activity and Sudden Blindness." Excerpta Medica, Inc., January 1996, p. 60.
Friberg TR, Zafiropulos V, Kalaitzaki M, Kowalski R, Petrakis J, Fotakis C: Excimer Laser Cleaning of Mold-91. Contaminated Paper: Sterilization and Air Quality Considerations. Lasers in Medical Science. 12:55-59, 1997.
Friberg TR: Age-related macular degeneration. The Cortlandt Forum. 10(7):173-187, July 1997.
Friberg, TR: Management of bleeding during vitreoretinal surgery. Vitreoretinal Surgery and Technology; September 1997.
Friberg TR, Karatza EC: "The treatment of macular disease using a micropulsed and continuous wave 810 nm diode laser." Ophthalmology, 104: 2030-2038, December 1997.
Friberg TR, Zafiropuloz V, Futakis C: Removal of fungi and stains from paper substrates using excimer laser cleaning strategies. Restauratorenbläter, Verlag, Mayer and Co. Vienna, Austria, 1997.
Friberg, TR: Update on Diabetic Retinopathy. The Courtlandt Forum, 11(9): 185-204, 1998.
Richard-James Silicone Oil Study Group: Azen SP, Scott IU, Flynn HW Jr., et al. Silicone oil in the repair of complex retinal detachments. A prospective observational study. Ophthalmology, 105:1587-1597, 1998.
"New Ideas on Lasering Drusen: minimal lesions, longer time frame." Eye Net of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, September 1998, p. 20.
"Low Intensity Laser: An Option for AMB?" Eye Net of the Academy of Ophthalmology, March 1999, pp. 49-50. Friberg TR: Papilledema, optic neuritis, or neither? The Cordlandt Forum, 12(7): 173-174, July 1999.
Friberg TR: Treatment of macular disease with a binocular indirect ophthalmoscope laser delivery system. Ophthalmic Surg & Lasers, 30(7): 518-522, 1999.
Friberg TR and Guibord NM: Corneal endothelial cell loss after multiple vitreoretinal procedures and the use of silicone oil. Ophthalmic Surg & Lasers, 30(7): 528-534, 1999.
The Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group: The age-related eye disease study (AREDS): Design Implications AREDS Report No. 1. Controlled Clinical Trials, 20:573-600, 1999.
Friberg TR: Editorial: Subthreshold (invisible) modified grid diode laser photocoagulation and diffuse diabetic macular edema (DDME). Ophthalmic Surgery & Lasers, 30(9):705, November/December 1999.
Friberg TR: The prophylactic treatment of age-related macular degeneration (PTAMD) clinical trial. The IRIS Medical Newsletter, 4(1): pp. 3-4, 1999.
- 1990-2000 Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS). National Eye Institute, Principal Investigator, $ 3,181,516 total cost-to-date (contract).
- 1995-1998 Prophylactic Diode Laser Photocoagulation for the Prevention of Choroidal Neovascularization in Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Eye and Ear Foundation of Pittsburgh, Principal Investigator, $150,000 total cost
- 3/99-2/00 A Phase III randomized, multi-center, double-masked, placebo controlled parallel group study with Tin Ethyl Etiopurpurin photodynamic therapy in the treatment of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization associated with age-related macular degeneration. Miravant Medical Technologies, Principal Investigator, $90,175 total cost.
- 1/00-12/00 A Randomized, Controlled Study on the Efficacy and Safety of Sandostatin LAR in the Therapy of Patients with Moderately Severe or Severe Non-proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (NPDR) or Low Risk Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (PDR). Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., Principal Investigator, $73,508 total cost.