A Conversation With Dr. Waxman
1999 – 2002 Visiting Assistant Professor
1999 – present Director of Undergraduate Medical Education
2002 – 2012 – Assistant Professor
2012 – 2021 – Associate Professor
2004 – present – Residency Program Director
2008 – present – Vice Chair for Education
2021 – present – Professor
1999 – present Director, Comprehensive Eye Service
2000 – 2008 – Director, Inpatient Consult Service
2008 – present – Director, UPMC Eye Center, Mercy
2006 - Present – UPMC Eye Center Guerrilla Eye Service, Founder and Director
2008 - 2014 – American Academy of Ophthalmology, Resident Self-Assessment Committee, Member
2015 - 2021 – Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology Program Directors Council, Member & Past President
2017 - present – American Academy of Ophthalmology, Resident Self-Assessment Committee, Chair
2012 – Carnegie Science Center, Catalyst of Professional and Community Education Award
2013 – Jefferson Award for Public Service
2013 – Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
2015 – University of Pittsburgh Chancellors Distinguished Public Service Award
2015 – William I. Cohen Award for Outstanding Clinical Instruction
2012 – 2021 - Best Doctors Presented by Pittsburgh Magazine
2017 – Association of University of Professors Excellence in Medical Student Education Award
Education & Training
- 1981-1985 Wesleyan University B.A. – 1985 Physics
- 1985 - 1994 Mount Sinai School of Medicine M.D. – 1994 Medicine
- 1985-1993 City University of New York Ph.D. – 1993 Biomedical Sciences
- 1994-1995 Greenwich Hospital Internship Department of Medicine
- 1995-1999 University of California Davis Residency Department of Ophthalmology
- Shah M, Knoch D, Waxman E. The state of ophthalmology medical student education in the United States and Canada, 2012 through 2013. Ophthalmology 2014 Jun;121(6):1160-3.
- Kovarik JJ, Eller AW, Willard LA, Ding J, Johnston JM, Waxman EL. Prevalence of undiagnosed diabetic retinopathy among inpatients with diabetes: the diabetic retinopathy inpatient study
- (DRIPS). BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care 2016;4(1):e000164.
- Graubart EB, Waxman EL, Forster SH, Giaconi JA, Rosenberg JB, Sankar PS, et al. Ophthalmology Objectives for Medical Students: Revisiting What Every Graduating Medical Student Should Know. Ophthalmology 2018 Dec;125(12):1842-3.
- Williams AM, Liu PJ, Muir KW, Waxman EL. Behavioral economics and diabetic eye exams. Prev Med 2018 Jul;112:76-87.
- Williams AM, Botsford B, Mortensen P, Park D, Waxman EL. Delivering mobile eye care underserved communities while providing training in ophthalmology to medical students experience of the Guerrilla Eye Service. Clin Ophthalmol 2019;13:337-46.
- Mortensen P, Enzor R, Keppel K, Williamson R, Jones P, Nkrumah G, Safiullah Z, Michelson S, Nadimpalli S, Shue A, Waxman E, The Ophthalmology Mini-Elective Gives Vision to Preclinical Medical Students., MedEdPortal. Published online November 23, 2020, doi:10.15766/mep_2374-8265.11024
- Bowers EMR, Perzia B, Enzor E, Clinger O, Yadav S, Commiskey P, Mortenson P, Waxman E Required Ophthalmology Rotation Provides Medical Students with a Foundation in Eye Related Diagnosis and Management, MedEdPortal. (2020) doi:10.15766/mep_2374-8265.11100
- Paley G, Grove R, Sekhar TC, Pruett J, Stock M, Pira T, Shields S, Waxman EL, Wilson B, Gordon MO, Culican S, Crowdsourced Assessment of Surgical Skill Proficiency in Cataract Surgery. Journal of Surgical Education, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2021.02.004